Kathleen’s love of baking and cake decorating started when she was old enough to remember helping her mother bake and her parents bought an “Easy Bake Oven” for her when she was 4. Kathleen enrolled in her first Wilton Cake Decorating Classes Spring of 1980, at the age of 15. She sold her first wedding cake at the age of 16 and studied and mastered the intricate art of cake decorating and designs ever since she attended her very first class. She was hooked!
Kathleen loved “Sugar Art” from the very beginning and was invited to her first Wilton Cake Decorating Teaching Seminar, in the fall of 1980, at the age of 16; she was the youngest Wilton Teacher at the time. Kathleen received several Wilton Incentive and Territorial Awards, and was inducted into the Wilton Method Teacher’s Hall of Fame, The President’s Club and Imperial Club in recognition of her 21 years of teaching several thousand students; last count over 10,000 + students.
- Wilton Enterprises 1980 – 2001 -Classes & Intense Instructor Seminars
- Grossmont Adult School – Culinary, Cake Decorating, Floral Design, Art, Calligraphy, Catering, Weddings Receptions
- Betty Newman- May -ICES Hall of Fame Instructor -Lambeth Method – 1980-1984 4 years- 10-6 week sessions = 150 Hours + 12 Project Cakes Gum Paste, Cocoa Painting, Modeling – Dolls, Rolled Fondant, Chocolate/Candy Classes, Bakery Pastries
- Eleonore Rielander – Gum Paste Flowers
- John Mc Namara – Figure Piping & Sculpture
- Eddie Spence – Royal Icing
- Frances Kyper – Airbrushing
- Alan Dunn – Gum Paste Flowers
- Robert Haynes – Gum Paste Flowers
- Chef Federico Anzellotti – Private Demo –President of the Italian Association of Chocolate
- Pastry Chef Armando Palmieri – Private Class, Italy
- ICES RBA, IBIE, FIPGC & Fancy Food Show 1996- Present -International Conventions, Demonstrations and Classes with world renowned instructors
Awards, Qualifications and Professional Certifications Received
- Numerous awards as a Wilton Instructor & Teacher Training 1980-2000- Wilton Hall of Fame, President’s Club, Imperial Club – 10,000 + students during my career with Wilton. Top Instructor Awards, Top Store Sales Regional & Recommendation Awards
- Grossmont School District Teacher 1983-1986 & 2000-2010
- Best of Show- Foreign Techniques- San Diego Cake Show 1985
- 1st in People’s Choice – San Diego Cake Show (Over 300 Cakes) 1984
- 3rd Place – San Diego Cake Show – Foreign Techniques 1984 – Judged by ICES Hall of Fame Judges
- Howards Bakery – San Diego, CA -1983-1984
- H&H Craft & Floral – Craft & Cake Decorating Instructor & Merchandising -1984-1994
- Decorative Confections – Owner – Cake & Candy Supplies/ Crumbs of Paris Bakery – Owner/Partner 1995-1998
- Groves Pastry Bakery – Consulting /Instructor 1995-1997
- Flour Power Cakery –Head Wedding Cake Designer/ Instructor/Commission -San Diego, CA 1995-1997
- Sweet Life Hall of Fame Award by Norm Davis & Zan Beg – April 2014 – Fairfax, VA
- NY Cake & Baking – Top 10 Int’l Cake Artist Award – May 2016
- Cake Master’s Nomination -1 of 4 Nominated Int’l- Top Royal Icing Artist – Nov. 2016
- International Demonstrator & Instructor – 2009-Present
Greatest Professional Achievement
Kathleen has more than one greatest achievement; I’m beyond words to be recognized for doing something I absolutely love!
- Being recognized by NY Cake & Baking/ Lisa Mansour for being one of the “Top 10 Int’l Cake Artist” – May 2016
- Being excepted as a distinguished member and US Rep of the International Excellence Team Cake Designer/ FIPGC (Federation International of Pastry Ice Cream and Chocolate) in Udine, Italy
- Being nominated for the Royal Icing Cake Masters Award, November 2016 and nominated for this distinguished award as “Educator of the Year Award” with Golden Tiers.
- Most recently, October 2017; Kathleen Coached Michelle Sohan and competed as Team Trinidad & Tobago in the Milan, Italy Cake Designers’ World Championship FIPGC 2017, winning “The Best Cake Taste in the World 2017” and placed 7th; competing against 19 other countries.
- November 2018 – Kathleen Collaborated with More Than Cake, Jacqueline Curtis & Colleen Roberts to test a Brand “NEW” product “A Royal Mix” – Pre-Mix Royal Icing and is proud to be endorsing and using the new Royal Icing in all the Lange/Lambeth Boot Camps. A new Royal Icing like no other on the market!
What does sugar artistry mean to me as an instructor?
Sugar artistry is my life. A passion within, since I was age 3; when I first received an Easy Bake Oven for Christmas. Sugar artistry and cake decorating to me, is an art that uses food coloring and frosting as paint, tips for the brushes and cake as the canvas. Sugar art allows me to incorporate gourmet flair, imagination, and creativity in an edible art form.
“ Being a good teacher, is loving, caring and sharing; treating students the way I want to be treated; teaching the way I want to be taught, loving and caring the way I want to be loved and cared for as a human being.”
Commit to the LORD whatever you do, and your plans will succeed. Proverbs 16:3